A microwave is a very helpful appliance yet not many people realize that it is one of the most dangerous as well. Even when the microwave is unplugged, there is a possibility of a serious electrical shock which can come from the components inside. Therefore, it is strongly advised that only a qualified appliance repair technician perform any repair, no matter how minor. As with every other appliance, a microwave needs maintenance in order to prolong the usage. It is advisable to periodically check your microwave. Noticing anything unusual right away might prevent bigger issues later on. For example, if you see that there is a lot of dust or dirt around or inside the ventilation holes, it has to be removed. Doing so will reduce the chance of overheating the microwave. Cleaning your microwave interior often will prevent damage to your unit as well.